When the cat goes gas, there is nothing deadly. But too frequent meteorisms with an unpleasant smell should alert you. Therefore Koshechka.ru will tell you what to do when the cat farts very often and how to save yourself and the animal from this unpleasant phenomenon.
Do cats fart and why?
First, all cats are farting. This is a natural process in the animal’s body. Here only isolated cases without a smell are the norm. If the gases escape too often, and even, so it does not smell bad, then you should pay attention to it. Flatulence or the accumulation of gases in the intestine occurs as a result of putrefaction of food, which is caused by indigestible products. Such products are inherent in both ready-made food and natural food. These include:
- Milk and dairy products in large quantities. Therefore, when you make a weekly diet of the pet, make sure that these products your cat eat no more than two or three times a week. It is a mistake to think that your cat is farting not because you gave him milk today, but yesterday it was cottage cheese, and before that sour cream. The variety of dairy products is not relevant, and the main thing is to observe the measure (no more than 3x it);
- Soy, corn and wheat, which only irritates the cat’s stomach and causes fermentation, but is actively used by many feed manufacturers as a source of protein;
- Garlic – it’s just taboo, no matter how you are assured that this is an excellent anti-worm agent. In cats, garlic can not only cause serious stomach problems, but also harm the health;
- Cutting fat can also cause why the cat farts. And it does not depend on the origin of fat: chicken, beef or fish;
- Bread Yeast. Therefore, no bread, buns and other bakery products;
- And most importantly – eating from the table. A soup spoon or something else human can cause flatulence in a cat. Especially dangerous is spoiled food. It contains pathogenic bacteria, microbes and products of their vital activity, many of which do not die even with heat treatment. For example, the fish smelled, and you decided to weld it to the darling, it was a pity to throw it out.
Age should also be taken into account when the cat farts and all this smells unpleasant. In the risk group young kittens and old cats. In young animals the digestive tract is still “not hardened”, so they can provoke flatulence by any products. As for old cats, their stomach weakens with age, and they can simply stop perceiving food that did not cause problems before.
Among other things, the escape of unpleasant gases can be caused by intestinal obstruction. This is much more dangerous and terrible, since the animal can die from internal bleeding. This occurs as a result of the fact that the stool does not leave, accumulate, harden and can break the intestines, but the gases come out at the same time. Therefore, you need to monitor this process closely. If your cat very often farts but stopped going to the toilet, it is better to go to the vet immediately. A hard, swollen abdomen, a restless behavior of the animal, skating on the floor is also signs of prolonged constipation or obstruction.
The cat farts a lot: what to do
Now you know that the main cause of unpleasant gases is the accumulation and decay of food. Therefore, first of all, you need to pay attention to food.
If you feed your pet with ready food, then try to change it to another one. In this case, it is better to approach the choice of another diet very carefully. Do not be lazy and before buying, thoroughly study the composition in the store. Consider that your pet has an intolerance to certain foods and a sensitive stomach.
If you feed the pet with dry food, then try to soak it before giving it. The fact is that dry pieces of food contain a lot of air, which gets into the stomach, looks for an outlet, which causes frequent farts.
If the cat “fragrantly” farts, it can be caused by a change in diet. Try to help adapt the stomach of the pet due to fermented bacteria. To do this, you can try giving him yogurt for a few days, but not more than one teaspoon per day. Such a lure will add new bacteria to the digestive tract and help reduce the escape of gases. If the cat starts diarrhea after yogurt, you can use acidophilic supplements or symbiotic bacteria. For cats up to fifteen kilograms, you need to give half the human dose, if the weight is greater – a whole dose.
You can improve digestion with a special raw diet, which will include unprocessed vegetables, fruits, meat and fish. But this method is good only under the strict supervision of a veterinarian. Therefore, it is better not to take risks.
Also, to reduce gases, sorbents such as smectite, activated carbon or enterocele, as well as preparations containing bacteria for improving the intestinal microflora (lactobacillus) can be given to the cat.
In any case, if simple measures do not help, such as changing feed or diet, sorbents and yogurts, it is better to consult a doctor. After all, if the cat often farts, you can not know for sure, this is simple indigestion or a serious violation of the intestinal microflora.